Equipment Operator - Sanitation and Streets Maintenance
- Type:Full-time Classified
- Salary/Pay Rate:$36,832 - $46,040
- Posted Date:01/11/2019
- Deadline to Apply:01/28/2019 5:00 PM
Equipment Operator – Sanitation and Streets Maintenance
Salary Range $36,832 - $46,040
Starting Salary $36,832 plus benefits
We are now accepting applications for the position of Equipment Operator in the Sanitation and Street Maintenance departments. Position requires two years of light to heavy equipment operation and maintenance plus the ability to obtain a CDL license with air brake within six months. Applications must be submitted to Human Resource Department by 5 PM, Monday, January 28, 2019. You can apply online by clicking on the Apply Online above or submit a paper application by clicking here . EEO Employer.
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
To perform skilled and semi-skilled work in the operation of heavy duty trucks, medium sized maintenance and snow removal equipment. To assist with the pick-up and hauling of garbage and refuse; to assist with general cleanup and snow removal; and to perform a variety of building maintenance and grounds work. This position could be assigned to either Sanitation and/or the Street Division of Public Works.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from higher level supervisory staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION STATEMENTS--Essential responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
When assigned to Solid Waste:
1. Pick-up and haul garbage and refuse; empty refuse containers into garbage compactor truck and sweep and load spillage; operate hydraulic compactor to compact refuse and assist with unloading of refuse truck at landfill.
2. Perform a variety of maintenance work including the clean-up of alleys and pick-up of debris too large for compactor trucks, operate garbage compactor truck, drive truck on assigned route; perform daily routine maintenance on compactor truck and assist with repairs as necessary.
3. Operate roll-off truck and perform associated duties.
4. Assist in snow removal by performing manual labor in support of snow removal operation; assist with the maintenance of snow removal equipment.
5. Perform general clean-up by loading refuse on flat bed and dump trucks.
6. Assist mechanics with clean-up of shop, repair activities, heavy lifting, welding, bending and painting as assigned.
7. Assist in street maintenance operations; operate light equipment, trenchers and backhoe.
8. Perform a variety of building maintenance and grounds work including custodial work.
When assigned to Streets:
1. Maintain storm sewer system; repair manholes; clean catch basins and sewers; remove ice, leaves and trash from storm drains; repair broken storm sewer lines.
2. Perform snow removal activities; operate single and tandem trucks in hauling snow; operate front-end loader to open driveways and intersections.
3. Operate tractor mowers, weed eaters and chemical sprayers; spray, trim and mow weeds and grass on main boulevards.
4. Repair streets; spread and level gravel, blacktop or concrete; operate self-propelled packers, street sweepers and tar kettles.
5. Put-up and take down flags and decorations; clean sidewalks and underpasses.
1. Perform a variety of manual labor as required.
2. Operate landfill scale house as assigned.
3. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
Knowledge: Operational characteristics of medium and heavy equipment; Occupational hazards and standard safety
practices related to the operation of a wide variety of medium to heavy equipment; Pertinent Federal, State and local traffic laws; Basic principles of welding; Interpret and explain City policies and procedures; Principles and practices of customer service.
Skills: Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities; Maintain mental capacity which allows for effective interaction and communication with others; Maintain effective audio/visual discrimination and perception to the degree necessary for the successful performance of assigned duties.
Abilities: Operate all heavy trucks, light to medium street maintenance and snow removal equipment in a safe and effective manner; Interpret, explain and enforce division policies and procedures; Perform container maintenance and repair; Perform arduous tasks for extended periods of time in all types of weather; Perform preventative maintenance and minor repair of a wide variety of light to heavy equipment; Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Experience and Training Guidelines
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Two years of equipment operation and maintenance experience in light to heavy equipment operation.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain within six month probationary period not to exceed one year, an appropriate, valid commercial driver's license with air brake endorsements.
Environmental and Physical Conditions:
Field/shop and/or landfill environment; travel from site to site; work around heavy equipment; exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, potentially hazardous chemicals, waste and infectious materials, inclement weather conditions; Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for heavy to moderate lifting, walking, standing and sitting for prolonged periods of time; operating motorized equipment and vehicles for long periods of time; general manual dexterity.