Icy Road Conditions and Weather Safety Tips
The Grand Forks Police Department would like to remind everyone to please use extreme caution when traveling in the city of Grand Forks, due to very icy road conditions. The recent weather system that moved through the area left a layer of moisture upon the roadways that has frozen as temperatures have fallen.
We would also like to take this opportunity to provide some winter weather driving safety tips.
- Slow down and increase distances between cars.
- Steer into a skid.
- Know what your brakes will do: stomp on antilock brakes, pump on non-antilock brakes.
- Stopping distances are longer on water-covered and icy roadways.
- Buckle up and use child safety seats properly.
- Keep your eyes open for pedestrians walking in the road.
- Check to make sure the intersection is clear before entering, then check again.
- Be cautious when entering/exiting driveways and eliminate any potential distractions (such as phones, radio operations, etc.)