Loading
Print VersionStay Informed
TASK FORCE COMMITTEE - SPECIAL EVENTS
PROGRAM - Wednesday, January 23, 2002

Members present: Hamerlik, Burke, Gershman, Glassheim.

Keith Lund, Community Development Manager for Urban Development, stated they would be hearing the oral presentations for the 2002 Special Events Program; that they would hear the applications in order they were received, and will try to keep presentations at 3 minutes. (The budget for this program is $100,000 and 18 applications have been received totaling $273,174.50.)

Member Gershman nominated Mr. Hamerlik as chair of the committee, Member Burke seconded the motion. Motion carried.

4. ArtWise - $5,000.
(Project: Elementary Art Show) SuAnne Frasier, Executive Director, reported they had submitted application for the ArtWise Elementary Art Show, and thanked council for supporting NOVAC’s ability to regrant for the arts funds, that the only reason they applied for the events grant this year was because if it had gone through arts funding on Urban Development it would have been granted after their arts show, and application was a timing matter, and withdrew their grant application. She stated as the costs of the Alerus Center grow, that in two years they will probably triple for the arts show because they are paying a graduated fee as they work up to their regular prices and would like to reserve the right to apply for an events grant in the future.

1. Red River Valley Gymnastics Incorporated - $3,800.
(Project: Olympic Gold Clinic) Lisa Sobolik presented request for the $3,800 for their Olympics Gold Clinic, that this is something new they are doing this year, that Olga Korbut will be coming to the Grand Forks area and to their gym to do a clinic; hoping to bring in 200 to 300 people for this and publicizing to the tri-state area. Mr. Burke asked if they were aware of the requirement in the criteria that the amount requested in the grant must be matched dollar for dollar in cash and not in-kind. Ms. Sobolik stated she was here in be-half of Shane Martin, director, who submitted the application and did not have an answer for the committee, but noted that the estimates will be close to that because of salaries paying staff to coincide with the clinic, travel costs and advertising. Mr. Burke stated that based on the application that was submitted, the summary page shows that half the cost of the project $3800 is requested and $3,820 in-kind, and based on requirements of the grant application would expect that this grant would not be funded because it does not comply - if there is a different situation, would suggest that the organization amend its application before this committee meets again so that they can consider an amended application if able to match the request in cash. Mr. Gershman stated there may be a confusion about what “in-kind” means, sometimes it’s soft costs of volunteers, etc. given some value but it appears that you’re going to be paying $3820 in cash, paying 11 coaches, advertising, etc. and appears that you are spending $3820 in cash. Ms. Sobolik stated she thought the “in-kind” part is in addition to what they are going to be spending, there will be a lot of parent volunteers, etc. involved, but advertising, travel and salaries will be paid and there will be some outside staff. Chairman Hamerlik stated the summary page needs correction or amendment.

2. Red River Valley Chapter, American Red Cross - $3,500.
(Project: Frosty Bobber Fishing Tournament and Winter Carnival) Mason Hollifield,
Executive Director, stated the event is well known and is weather dependent, they have lost several events because of the lack of snow (Snowmobile Fun Run Dogsleds, cross-country skiing) that the application is for the same amount as they received last year and majority of that has been spent on advertising and that would be their intent again this year; they are looking for new events (dog
SPECIAL EVENTS PROGRAM COMMITTEE - 1/23/02 - Page 2

sled races). Mr. Glassheim questioned the in-kind funds - Mr. Hollifield stated there was real money involved, $3,000 cash and other funds is cash from sponsors.

3. Grand Forks Lions, Red River Lions, South Forks Lions - $33,224.50.
(Project: Christmas in the Park) Andy Swanson, Vice Chairman of the project, stated that this is a new project and will be encouraging people to set up displays in the Lincoln Park area, Christmas event to bring people in - request is for installation of power for lighting displays - that they had looked for other sites but this is a secluded area (people would go through and pay $5.00 to see the sights, has room for expansion and would be beautiful setting with trees and snow for this event) - would be good fund raiser for Lions to continue work in the community, good family event and new event to bring people into Grand Forks and great enhancement to the future use of that area. It was noted this would be one-time installation - primary is basically permanent under-ground lines - secondary source for the 44 lots would be movable, transformers and plug-ins (at expense of the Lions Clubs) and everything else capped over so no damage if flooded - that they have spent lot of time working with electricians in designing this to come up with a plan that would be useable year after year.

Mr. Burke stated that the summary sheets shows in-kind volunteer labor from Lions Club members and proceeds of a loan from Community National Bank, and asked what the cash budget is of this project. Mr. Swanson stated $66,449.00 in cash with $30,000 from the Bank and hopefully from this grant and other is that they have an arranged agreement with Comeau Electric (labor from Lions Club volunteers @$8.00/hour if they can shovel dirt in the trench and that is the in-kind they are referring to). Mr. Burke stated they would expect organizations to have their volunteers do work as part of the project but needs to know the amount of cash they are actually spending on this project - Mr. Swanson stated the amount of bids $25,692.00 and $34,989.00 and $5,768.00 if they hired everything done. Mr. Burke asked actual amount spent in cash after using volunteers - Mr. Swanson stated he didn’t have the answer for that.

Mr. Burke asked if they did not receive the entire request if that would stop them from going forward with the project - Mr. Swanson stated they would have to look hard at the project but have no other source of funds - that this is one way of getting the project off the ground and would be an on-going project and would try to get actual costs for the committee. Lyle Rieger, Red River Lions, stated they have anticipated that they could knock down the bid by about $3,000 with volunteer labor. It was also noted that vendors would be charged $100 to set up and that will off-set the cost of the electricity, etc. and plan is to charge $5.00/car that goes through the site. There were some questions as to where the profits go - Mr. Swanson stated to their charities - and that is the reason they have no money or assets to pledge to get this project off the ground - that all of their money that they raise each year is donated to charities and that is what the purpose of this would be.

The committee stated if they took a one-year loan and paid it back from the income over 5 years, good project but a one-time expenditure of $30,000 from the City when you’re making $50,000 est. and using it as a fund-raiser - and if the City wants to give people money when they are using the project as a fund raiser and making a net gain as well as using City money. Mr. Swanson stated one of the problems is when they have no assets to pledge and majority is going in the ground and equipment, that they can’t pick up and resell, have explored that route quite extensively - but mission of the Lions is for charities but hears what the committee is saying. Mr. Glassheim stated that the purpose of this money is not to help agencies raise money and has problem where there is significant income generated and that’s not turned back into the project. Chairman Hamerlik stated they can discuss this in more detail as to the ground rules of that.
SPECIAL EVENTS PROGRAM COMMITTEE - 1/23/02 - Page 3

Member Gershman stated he didn’t care where the money goes, interested in people coming to town and in town - the money is going to good use in every case, and number of people coming to the event is his concern. Mr. Burke stated before making recommendation is to know what the finances are, what actual cash requirements are if able to use as much volunteer labor as could be used.

Mr. Glassheim asked if this is a greenway activity and if a portion of this request could be appropriately funded out of greenway funds. Melanie Parvey-Biby, greenway coordinator, stated they could look at this, the one thing the committee had expressed concern on is that it is something they wanted to do on their own, separate from the greenway and when this was discussed, if the money could come out of this fund, it would go directly to the capital costs for their project because if they do the implementation which is approx. $60,000 to put the cable in for the lots, they won’t make money for the first two years for their charities and this was one option to implement this project. The City would still own the property even though they went into an agreement with the Lions Club to use the area for this purpose - whether Greenway money or this money is put in, it doesn’t change the relationship between the Lions and City as far as maintenance, liability, etc.

Mr. Gershman asked if the City wanted to use lines, etc. in the summertime for some other event - Mr. Swanson stated the agreement they worked out with the City, that they would have no objection to that and would be glad to let people use that, except the Lions doesn’t want any responsibility or liability for that but would encourage that. Ms. Biby stated that the City would want to be reimbursed for the electricity because the Lions Club would actually be paying for the electricity because the City is not going to be involved in that and if another group used it, would have to work that out. It was noted that if the Lions received the $30,000 bank loan, they would pay that out of the proceeds made in the first year.

5. Summer Performing Arts & Crimson Creek Collegiate Players - $20,000.
(Project: on-going summer event utilizing SPA and to stage musical and theatrical programs during period June 5 - July 30) Brad Sherwood and Richard Nelson presented request and stated that the organizations have been doing activities in the summertime for a number of years and their groups have been quasi working together and marketing what they do in the summertime; this would be to aggressively market and start looking at economic development and bringing in outside groups and going after touring buses trade and bring into the city for something they are already doing - putting on 20 and 30 productions during the summer months. Mr. Burke asked if they would be applying for arts grant money; Mr. Nelson stated that would depend upon what happens between now and then, and are applying for whatever they can do now. He stated they will be doing the shows and this is to aggressively go after that outside trade to bring it into Grand Forks and if do that need additional funds to go after that trade. Mr. Nelson stated that if need to do additional matinees and locations, if successful need additional funds. Tour bus companies have stated if there is something in Grand Forks they will come - they want to schedule dinner and theatre perfor-mances that they can schedule into their schedules. Mr. Glassheim asked if their have any evidence that projections are not extremely inflated - seems like 30 performances of 200 people coming on buses is high - and what in the budget would be cut if income less - Mr. Nelson stated that they are both doing things that are very successful at what they do and market to our folks and if reach out, how do that, can’t afford to do it in their current budget. Mr. Gershman summarized the request - that both organizations put on theatre in the summer, those same productions want to expand the number of those same productions to try to bring in outside people on a dinner theatre utilizing bus tours - the thing that is not understood in Grand Forks it the number of bus tours there are - that the number coming through is phenomenal but dealing with the bus companies is
SPECIAL EVENTS PROGRAM COMMITTEE - 1/23/02 - Page 4

another story (they want a percentage of what doing and when dealing with Canada another issue is exchange rate too - want to do more shows, combining with restaurants at a cost that would include the ticket price and the dinner. Mr. Glassheim stated that any additional information he was interested in is having info from tour buses saying that they have some interest would be helpful and if estimates not sure, how convert from this budget to a smaller budget based upon less utilization.

6. Summer Performing Arts Company - $2,000.
(Project: Downtown SPA) Dean Opp, adm. director, stated that last summer they experimented with doing some events downtown (show and tell) and kept eye on what was happening to Saturday market but would like to expand in that area - would like to look at Wednesday nights in July and do consistent things and provide a night of variety of entertainment - include vendors so considered family night, and for them would allow his students the opportunity to perform and reason for them to pursue that, and needs they will have (lighting and sound and personnel to make sure that the show is happening, and if go ahead with project need to advertise. Mr. Burke asked if they would be applying to NOVAC for arts grants money; Mr. Opp stated they are applying for that money, but not necessarily for this project and $2,000 for salaries for downtown activities - and their plan would be to hire someone specifically for this for coordination, rehearsal, etc. and would create “open mike” type of entertainment - variety of entertainment.

7. Northern Plains Potato Growers Assn. - $20,000.
(Project: Potato Bowl USA) Kristen Larson stated they are looking to do the Potato Bowl as last year, incorporating with the Alerus Center and have the parade go downtown and getting vendors involved. It was noted that last year the organization received $12,500 and Ms. Larson stated they were able to do more with the funding - had inflatable play area along with the french fry feed and had an event at the stadium for the students to get involved and do more fun things, looking at getting students at UND campus involved - they est. over 10,000 at the parade, game 11,500 and 7,500 at french fry feed and last year’s numbers increased.. The committee asked for percentage of increase at last year’s event. It was noted that levels of funding have been over the years - $3,500 for pre-flood and before.

8. Grand Forks/East Grand Forks Chambers of Commerce Military Affairs Committee:
Golden Eagle Club_- $5,000. _______________________________________________
(Project: 2002 Annual Maury Rothkopf Military Appreciation Day) Tony Trimarco,
UND, chair of the joint committee that represents business communities on both sides of the river, that they are looking for financial assistance for their military appreciation day that they hold in the fall, this is their 6th year for this type of format - is an annual event that shows the communities’ appreciation to the military members and their families - and only event they do that solely recognizes military and goes on our record of community support for the base - that this is a family event, pre-game lunch tied to a UND football game so the military members, their family members - totally free for all the participants - day of entertainment and fun, this year they served over 1200 meals and 866 went to the game. This also is for the UND ROTC Program (their cadets) as well as ND National Guardsmen and this year to include reservists and recruiters so expanding it so broad focus for entire military.

Mr. Gershman asked if it was the Abilene award that Grand Forks has won; Mr. Trimarco stated they won it for the first time - Abilene Trophy was originated at the Abilene, TX Chamber of Commerce which held the standard for its support of their military bases and the Air Force recognized that as the standard for community support, that we applied for it in 1998 and received
SPECIAL EVENTS PROGRAM COMMITTEE - 1/23/02 - Page 5

it and have received Air Force recognition as the best community support for a base. It was noted that these types of events strengthen our relationship with the community; September 11 put a hold on things, and events they are doing are family oriented and shows them that not only when they deploy that this is a community that cares about the deployed person but also care about the family that’s back here - lot of events are very much linked to the support for the family and are going to press hard this year to show that we’re an organization that’s looking to build a population as its community - that we have over 2000 retirees in the community and he’s here as a result of the folks on this committee and what they’ve done to the base - if we do our job right on this committee representing this community to the military, they’re going to want to stay here, to come back and send their kids to school - indictors are that they’re doing their job right, the Air Force is recognizing that through the awards, the relationships that exist between us and the Base has never been better - one of the reasons they’re here now, have carried this event for the past couple years, but numbers wise they raise about $20,000 from the business community each year that goes in direct support of programs and activities that they do, this event goes from $12,000 to $14,000 and that takes away from the other programs and events that they can support. Mr. Gershman stated that we have another round of base closings coming in 2005 and that’s going to happen and these types of events are very important when they do - it’s one of the things they look at. Mr. Trimarco stated they are sending clear signals all the way to the top and are recognized for our support for this base, and its unmatched.

9. Town Square Farmer’s Market - $8,000.
(Project; Town Square Farmers Market) Kim Woods, chairman, that she works at Alerus Financial and volunteering time with this market that they created last summer - that they ran 22 weeks and had over 80,000 people and based on the response and the
number of new vendors interested this year is going to be something very big - that in addition to everyone involved last year who have indicated they will be back vending their products, have 42 new vendors that will be part of their market and will average 60 to 70 vendors per week (last year 35) and could say crowds could be 6,000 to 8,000 per week and should double everything they did last year. That in order to move them to their next level they could use some help in the marketing, entertainment areas, want to continue to do more advertising, and based on the response and interest that she is hearing from the community and the region (attracting vendors from 300 miles out) and getting a new type of vendor that has some national exposure and will have “guest vendors” and would like to do more promoting of the vendors, profiling them and spending more in advertising and marketing area so get a lot of people coming downtown and to become the Saturday morning destination spot.

10. East Grand Forks Chamber of Commerce - $10,000.
(Project: Cats Incredible/Catfish Days) Diane Blair, president of the EGF Chamber of Commerce, stated this is their 15th year and see continued growth of their fishermen and much greater interest from their fishermen and found niche with families with inflatable games, etc. She stated that she did not include in the program the commitment from the City of East Grand Forks - that they received support from the Water & Light Dept., Streets and Sanitation, Parks and Rec., Fire and Police Depts. that totals approx. $12,000 to $13,000 in in-kind support, and without that could not do this program, and the rest of the money is raised through sponsorships and the raffle they do in place of gated admission. Mr. Gershman asked why they limit the number of anglers to 150 teams - Ms. Blair stated it has to do with the ramp availability and making sure that we can safely put the boats onto the water, has to do with volunteer capabilities (have to have on-water officials to make sure we are patrolling for cheating that often comes with fishing tournaments and any competitive event - have to search every boat that goes into the water to make sure there are no
SPECIAL EVENTS PROGRAM COMMITTEE - 1/23/02 - Page 6

catfish in the boat before they launch them, and patrol the river, etc. Mr. Gershman asked if the City of East Grand Forks will consider putting in any matching funds to Grand Forks or any cash at all. Ms. Blair stated she has not asked them. Mr. Glassheim asked if in addition to the anglers if a lot of other people attend - Ms. Blair stated 300 people come and fish, may bring families and while they are out fishing, put on the community festival on the riverbank in conjunction with the Friends of the Greenway Chili Cook-off - that they have partnered with them and that takes place on Saturday, do music and entertainment, kids games, educational opportunities through Cabala’s and through the DNR for the youth, and do have people coming in at end of day to see how big the fish are, competing, so see how they did. She stated with the 2 days the event is held, between 10,000 and 11,000 people.

11. First Night Greater Grand Forks - $22,000.
(Project: First Night) Kim Greendahl, event coordinator for First Night, that proposal is very generic, no programming has been done yet and haven’t made any decisions yet; that the event speaks for itself, that they bring in a lot of people from outside the area and hope that people really notice the diversity this year in the programming they did, and will be attempting to do that again next year.

12. Center for Innovation - $10,000.
(Project: Entrepreneur Hall of Fame) Della Kapocius, Center for Innovation, and works with Mr. Gjovig in putting together the Entrepreneur Hall of Fame, that the event is very similar to what they proposed last year, the event is somewhat different from the other events that were funded last year by this committee, that other events were somewhat larger and had more general public mass appeal, that their event is smaller but feel it is an important event to the community and in the past the event has appealed to a community of people that have become supporters of Grand Forks and have done a lot of things to advance our community and help our community grow. She stated that some of the past award winners and some examples listed in the proposal.

The criteria for this grant does mention that we need to show the economic benefit to the community of this event and is difficult to do on a direct basis - it’s an event that maybe draws 200 people to a banquet but benefits are something that are little harder to measure but maybe long term by virtue of the people who get involved with the community through this event and other things that we do - She stated that this grant is scheduled to be approved two days before their February event (February 21), and proposing to add a second banquet in October and add people to the Entrepreneur Hall of Fame and name business innovators of the year (two times each year) and will expand the event also to accommodate for people who are hesitant to travel to North Dakota in the winter. She stated they have proposed that the City’s Special Event grant support the October, 2002, event and have also included the February, 2003, banquet in the plan and the budget. She stated that last year they included in the proposal to better promote the Entrepreneur Hall of Fame and the exhibit that is at the Rural Technology Center at UND, that it’s an impressive exhibit and holds a lot of the history of North Dakota and people from North Dakota and if had funds for some permanent outdoor signage, printed materials - a book that would tell the stories of some of these North Dakota entrepreneurs that would help promote the Hall of Fame, promote entrepreneurship in the community and the area.

13. Greater Grand Forks Sertoma Club - $30,000.
(Project: 4th of July Festival) Kelly Hjelle, president of the Sertoma Club and 6th year co-chairing the 4th of July event, and Trisha Stromsodt, this year’s chairman of the 4th of July festival. Ms. Hjelle stated that with the support of the City their event was 15% larger than the years in the
SPECIAL EVENTS PROGRAM COMMITTEE - 1/23/02 - Page 7

past, were able to spend more money on advertising and entertainment, added $5,000 to their fireworks display and were able to purchase inserts in the Grand Forks Herald that went to all the outlying areas to bring people into the community. She stated for 2002 they plan to increase their event by providing more activities and entertainment in the park - have a kids parade that has outgrown University Park and are planning to make it an event that will be on the street, and need to emphasize patriotism and freedom, and have a big 4th of July parade - adding to games to go which are inflatable pcs. of equipment by $3,000, having an Olympic theme this year that will have 10 different events throughout the day, that there had been request to see some events downtown and this year planning to have the evening before a street dance in Town Square using the bands that will be in town for the 4th of July and maybe incorporating Grand Forks/East Grand Forks and trying to bring event downtown as have in the past. Ms. Stromsodt stated that having the street dance may entice people to stay in town. The noted they are trying to make it a day and a half event and hoping not to lose people taking Friday off and heading for the lakes. Ms. Hjelle stated they est. 15,000 people in attendance last year at University Park and an economic impact of over $250,000 for the city, and approx. 40% of the people there last year were outside the immediate area. They also stated that they may have shuttles from the park to the fireworks display area.

14. University of North Dakota Indian Assn. (UNDIA) - $20,750.
(Project: UNDIA 33rd Annual Time Out and Wacipi) Ryan Eagle, president of UNDIA, and Ron Smith, Jr., vice president in charge of Wacipi. Mr. Smith stated that the UND Indian Assn. has been putting on a Time Out celebration for over 33 years and this draws crowds of approx. 3500 people into the city, that they provide one full week of activities that promote cultural diversity on the campus as well as in the city, that in the past they haven’t come to the City to ask for involvement but is something they would really like to address because of the number of people that come to town for the event and bring in a lot of revenue, and could make this even bigger every year. He stated they are the only minority group on the agenda but because they are a minority group, this does incorporate the whole college, one of the largest student organizations on UND with over 400+ members and do a lot of cultural activities that include the whole campus as well. Mr. Gershman asked if they had considered moving this to the Alerus Center as a better venue for people to view this, not as comfortable as the Hyslop. Ryan Eagle stated they have considered that but the use of the Alerus is so expensive that they cannot afford it, but also like to keep it on campus because they want more student involvement. It was noted that on the matching funds this organization was approved for $17,000 from the UND Multi Cultural Awareness Committee but haven’t had any word from request for $8,500 from the UND President’s Discretionary Budget, should have letter back within the next week. Ryan Eagle stated they have close to $11,000 that they have already raised with outside fund raising on campus. Mr. Burke stated that some of the committee considers when asked to provide new funds to events that have been there for some time, is how will the City funds enhance the event and enhance economic activity, and how are the City’s funds going to benefit the city. Mr. Eagle stated this has been going on for 33 years and to get the functioning costs to put on the celebration itself is $43,7750.00, and unable to advertise as much and if get more money can advertise not only of the tri-state area, but across the mid-west and across the country as well. Mr. Smith stated that a lot of the things that concern Native Americans that does go on in their community has a black cloud over it because of the University of North Dakota logo, that this is a positive and educational event that everyone is welcome to attend and takes some of the negativity off everything that surrounds the whole logo issue. Mr. Gershman asked number of people who attend the Pow Wow in Bismarck - Mr. Smith stated close to 10,000 people - hold it at the United Tribes Technical College and have sponsorships and other funding. It was noted that most people stay over the weekend (Friday-Sunday), throughout the week have lectures,
SPECIAL EVENTS PROGRAM COMMITTEE - 1/23/02 - Page 8

speakers and demonstrations, etc. and people come in for one day during the week because of business and school but majority over the weekend. Mr. Eagle stated that many high schools bring their students to UND for recruiting during that week.

15. Downtown Leadership Group (DLG) - $19,900.
(Project: coordinate 3 projects - Ethnic Nights at Town Square, Holiday Open House and Holiday Lights Parade) Daneen Curley stated they’ve been helped in the past with a couple of the events are going to be continuing Holiday Open House weekend in November and the Holiday Lights Parade in December; this year adding Ethnic Nights at the Town Square and host an event one Thursday night in July, another in August and another in September to bring family downtown and will pick a cultural background for one night and still working on that and making other two events bigger and better; that in the past they’ve been able to use grant money bring in Christmas carolers and other entertainment and during Lights Parade to have tents for the judges to be in, horse-drawn carriage rides for the kids, etc. and freed up commitment by the downtown merchants to spend their dollars on advertising. Mr. Gershman stated they are asking for $19,900 and new piece is the Ethnics Night and if the committee were to come back and to reduce the amount, how much they would need only for the Ethnics Night - Ms. Curley stated the Ethnics Night totals $11,775.00; matching funds from sponsorships and downtown merchants and from DLG total of $19,900, and asking for the grant; and that is all cash.

16. Major Event Task Force, Grand Forks Chamber of Commerce, Force Classic Events,
Inc. - $25,000._____________________________________________________________
(Project: 2002 Forks Curling Classic) Roger Helland, member of the Major Task Force Committee for the Chamber of Commerce, and a board member for the Forks Curling Classic, was present, along with Don Barcome, Jr., president of the Forks Classic Events and also on the Olympic Curling Team for 2002, which will be held in Salt Lake City this year. Mr. Helm stated this proposal is for the second year for the Forks Curling Classic, dates will be sometime in December, 2002; first year a tremendous success for them, they had a first class curling event that ultimately will lead to the US Nationals, ultimately lead to the Olympic Trials and ultimately lead to the World Curling Championships that will be held in Grand Forks; and will give worldwide exposure to the city of Grand Forks. Forks Curling Classic is one of the 5 best events that the World Curling Tour has offered, and have full support of the World Curling Tour for this and had a total cash prize of $40,000. Grand Forks is fairly new to curling; that we have about a $200,000 impact on the city of Grand Forks economics, last year had 800 students attended, 4th and 5th graders from the Grand Forks School System, and now with the GF Public School System’s help introduce that into their physical education program and will now be offering curling in their gyms. Last year they had 32 teams that came and participated in this event, combination of teams from the U.S. and Canada; their primary goal last year was to put this event on. Mr. Burke asked what the gate was on the event last year and how many people attended - sold $7,000 in ticket sales and goal was to sell $4500; and had an average of 200-300 people per day over 4 days. Mr. Burke asked what time line is on major events that you hope to attract - that the events we’ve had here demonstrate the capability to hold larger events and how soon get to the point and how sustainable are major events on an annual basis to build up to this. Mr. Barcome stated they gave out 900 tickets to suite holders of which 300 per day were used and 300 per day in attendance at the arena and had 800 students on Friday and probably about 100/day for 2 days at the Curling Club. Mr. Barcome stated they will be putting a bid out in March to the U.S. Curling Assn. for the 2004 U.S. Nationals and which he has been assured that there is no reason we would not receive it esp. what the curling world thought of their event this year; putting a bid out for the 2005 U.S. Olympic Trials and find out next September on hope for nationals and probably not until spring of 2003 on
SPECIAL EVENTS PROGRAM COMMITTEE - 1/23/02 - Page 9

the Olympic Trials; and 2003 will see them in April in Winnipeg, Manitoba putting in their bid for the World Championships of 2008, and find out in December of 2003. Mr. Helm stated the World tournament is being held in Bismarck this year in April and expecting 6000 people per day for a 12-day event.

17. North Dakota Museum of Art - $20,000.
(Project: SunDog Jazz Fest 2002) Cheryl Gaddie, Dr. Fred Schneider, anthropology professor at UND and a jazz enthusiast; and Bonnie Sobolik, director of Development for the ND Museum of Art, were present. Ms. Gaddie stated she has co-shared the Jazz
Festival for two years, that they requested a grant last year and were denied and would like to give more reasons why they would like to continue this - that last year which was their second year was a great success; that there are vast opportunities for this event to bring in people as well as strong participation from out of town visitors. She stated there were two suggestions from city leaders - one was the event being held on Labor Day and the Museum Board made a recommendation that they change the date - changed to September 8, and will be coincided with the Potato Bowl; and other question was location and have festival in Town Square, discussed that and several reasons to keep festival at the University - last year had over 600 people that went through the exhibit, the proximity allows them to represent UND’s music department, which has a strong influence on the festival, the setting is much better, no interference from traffic noise, acoustics are excellent, ample parking and means for security for control for admission; that she has spoken with some members of the downtown committees and there’s a strong interest in having some additional events that would coincide with this - this is a good event and feel could grow it and bring other things downtown - high school jazz band, film festivals during the week and could make an entire week-end of that.

Bonnie Sobolik presented facts and figures - last year’s attendance increased by about 50%, volunteers included - total attendance went from 450 to 680 and over 30% of advance ticket purchases were from outside the cities of Grand Forks and East Grand Forks and some from Canada. That they had over 65 sponsors the festival came within $3,000 of breaking even financially; that they have heard that the Myra Foundation will be unable to continue its $5,000 annual cash sponsorship for 2002. She stated the Museum’s Board of Directors wants to continue to present the SunDog Jazz Fest as a public service to the community but its concern with small staff and limited resources, that they’ve been seeking a major underwriter for the festival since idea was first conceived and they have determined that they cannot assume the risk alone and have given the committee until March 1 to secure a major underwriting sponsor or they will have to cancel plans for a 2002 festival, and are asking the City Special Grants Program to be that sponsor through a grant of $20,000 and give the festival one more year to prove itself. The Museum considers the jazz festival to be a community event; if the Museum needs to make a choice on priorities for the use of the Arts Funds and obviously will ask for funding for exhibitions and operating expenses relating to visual presentation.

Dr. Schneider stated that Peggy Lee who just recently died was a major contributor to the growth of American jazz and popular music; that jazz has been something of importance to North Dakota and North Dakotans for a long time, one of the things that impressed him was to find out they had the Dick King Swing Band, a lot of people in this community don’t realize how significant that is, the fact that we have such a quality series of musicians and this band is incredible - this is the thing they only see in many of their larger cities throughout the nation - along with that is the long term success of Randy Lee’s Sunday morning radio show, also featuring a variety of jazz and other jazz programming on the University radio station. He stated that the SunDog Jazz Festival has in terms
SPECIAL EVENTS PROGRAM COMMITTEE - 1/23/02 - Page 10

of an appeal to the community - this is a family event, there were lots of kids there and this is an educational event, and that we have such an unusual venue for this performance - pleasant outdoor area, an area and venue in which the musicians feel very comfortable in communicating with the audience. Jazz appeals to a younger audience and the growing interest in our public schools. The appeal of this event also extends to the community as a large and are a direct impact to the community - this is community event, quality of life; and impressive thing is the variety of folks that are involved in all stages of planning and implementation of this event; and is a lot of fun.

18. Greater Grand Forks Symphony Association - $15,000.
(Project: Great Fourth of July Fireworks Concert) Jennifer Ettling, executive director, stated their goal is to add onto what they already think is a terrific event, the 4th of July celebration is planned in Grand Forks and would like to add a wonderful concert that will include the Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture, and plan a concert that would bring a pop group - that she has been in touch with Sertoma reps about how they might work together - the time slot is open in the Sertoma day to plan the concert, and will bring to it a wider and larger audience because of the contact they have developed over the years with their own orchestral audience to enlarge the audience for the Sertoma celebration and have a commitment from North Dakota Public Radio to broadcast the concert state-wide. This is a new event. Mr. Burke asked when the concert would be held in conjunction or adjacent to the fireworks - Ms. Ettling stated it would proceed the fireworks - two possibilities: 10:00 p.m. slot and go directly from 1812 Overture to fireworks, or have it earlier in the evening to make it an family event. The venue is to be worked out with Sertoma, and their goal is to work with Sertoma to supplement and enlarge what they have built, not to compete with it - either University Park or possibly UND Campus Park (same place as jazz festival is held). Free concert.

Chairman Hamerlik stated that concludes the number of applicants and that the committee will meet on Tuesday, January 29, at 4:00 p.m. and if there is anything else they should decide or discuss today.

After some discussion the Committee adjourned their meeting, with next meeting to be held on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 at 4:00 p.m. for discussion and determining tentative funding recommendations, and with review and confirmation of their recommendations on Thursday, February 7, at 7:30 a.m. after NOVAC has received applications for funding. The recommendations would then go to the committee of the whole on Monday, February 11, 2002 and to city council on Tuesday, February 19, 2002.

Alice Fontaine, City Clerk
Dated: 01/28/02.