Here are a few easy steps to start your emergency communication plan:
- Sign up for codeRed Alerts for local weather and other emergency notifications: to learn more about alerts go to: www.ready.gov/alerts.
- Discuss family/household plans for disasters that may affect your area and plan where to go. Plan together in advance so everyone in your household understand where to go during different types of disasters like tornadoes, wildfire, or other civil emergencies.
- Collect information. Create a paper copy of the contact information for your family that includes:
- Identify information and pick an emergency meeting place. Things to consider:
- Share information. Make sure everyone carries a copy in his or her backpack, purse, or wallet. You should also post a copy in a central location in your home, such as your refrigerator or family bulletin board.
- Practice your plan. Have regular household meetings to review your emergency plans, communication plans and meeting place after a disaster, and then practice, just like you would a fire drill.