Here is some pertinent information provide by the FBI on active threat response.
- 70% of active shootings happen in a place of commerce or educational setting
- Vast majority of incidents are over in 15 minutes or less
- There has been a three fold increase in the number of active shootings per year since 2007.
- No current profile exists for an active shooter
- Vast majority of shooters are lone males
- Many shooters have no past criminal activity
- Some shooters do not have a direct connection between their victims and the shooting location
- Concerning behaviors involving the shooter are observed in many cases prior to the event by friends, family, associates, etc.
- Pre-Attack indicators identified by the FBI include:
- Development of a personal grievance
- Contextually inappropriate and recent acquisition of multiple weapons
- Contextually inappropriate and recent escalation in target practice and weapons training
- Contextually inappropriate and recent interest in explosives
- Contextually inappropriate and intense interest or fascination with previous shootings or mass attacks
- Experience of a significant real or perceived personal loss in the weeks and/or months leading up to the attack, such as a death, breakup, divorce or loss of a job
Click on the link below for additional information on Active Shooter or Active Threat Situations
Active Shooter Pamphlet
Active Shooter Poster
Active Shooter Video - Warning: The initial sequence in this video may be disturbing.