To recommend such rules and regulations, including amendments thereto, as may be necessary and proper to carry out the intent and purposes of this chapter. These rules and amendments must be submitted to the city council for adoption and upon adoption shall have the full force and effect of law;
To hear appeals on disciplinary matters as specified in this chapter;
To represent the public and the city interests in the improvement of personnel administration in the city service;
To advise the city council, the mayor, and the director of human resources on problems concerning personnel administration;
To advise and assist the director of human resources in fostering the improvement of personnel standards in the city service;
To make any inquiry which the commission may consider desirable concerning the administration of personnel in the city service and to review any personnel action which may appear to be arbitrary, capricious, or illegal, and make recommendations to the mayor, the city council, the city attorney, and/or director of human resources with respect thereto;
To hire staff as the commission may find necessary to carry out the intent and purposes of this chapter. The hiring of staff shall be within the constraints of the annual appropriations and budget as established by the city council;
To create and utilize employment registers in order to fill vacancies within the classified service for the city;
To establish tests, examinations and evaluations for the evaluation of applicants for the classified service; and
To perform such other duties with reference to personnel administration of the city, not inconsistent with this chapter, as the city council may require by ordinance or as otherwise directed by the mayor or city council.
2. MembershipThe civil service commission consists of five (5) members appointed by the mayor and confirmed by the city council. All members must be residents of the City of Grand Forks or employed within the City of Grand Forks and shall not be a city employee, officer, or official. The commission shall consist of one (1) member generally associated with labor occupations; one (1) member generally associated with management occupations; one (1) member generally associated with the occupations or professions of personnel management, human resources, or employment regulatory compliance, having practiced within the profession for at least five (5) years; and two (2) members representative of the general public selected from the occupations or professions of law, banking, finance, investment, accounting, industry, commerce, labor, organized labor, education, medicine, dentistry, or a recognized trade and having practiced within the profession or trade for at least five (5) years.
Three (3) years
- James Vanyo
Term Expires: February 2, 2021
- Margo Svobda
Term Expires: January 3, 2021
Term Expires: June 10, 2022
- Patricia Nies
Term Expires: April 30, 2022
- Wayne Burlog
Term Expires: May 31, 2022
Human Resources - Email 746-2665
Board of Adjustments
- Date: 06/04/2020 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Notice is hereby given that the City of Grand Forks Board of Adjustments will conduct a public hearing on Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 10:30AM, to consider the appeals below.
Members of the Grand Forks Board of Adjustments may be attending this meeting electronically or telephonically. Due to the COVID-19 public health emergency, City Hall is currently closed to the public. This meeting will be conducted with social distancing modifications consistent with the recommendations of the CDC. In person attendance at the meeting by the public will not be allowed.
Any member of the public seeking to submit comments relating to an Agenda item or public hearing should submit their comments to Bev Collings at email@example.com or call 701-746-2639 for further information. All comments received prior to 3:00 p.m. on the day previous to the meeting day will be considered part of the record of the meeting as if personally presented.
- Nicholas and Stephanie Schuler, 1986 Kingview Dr., has made a request for variance to the impervious surface area coverage requirement [Section 18-0208(7) of the Land Development Code] in order to install a pool.Legal Description: Lot 8, Block 1 of Kannowski’s addiiton.
- Mark and Molly Jean Soeby, 718 Oak St., has made a request for variance to the impervious surface area coverage requirement [Section 18-0208 of the Land Development Code] in order to pave an additional slab.Legal Description: Lots 5&6, Block 3 of McKelvey’s Addition.
- Evan Wilcox and Payton Peterson, 905 Reeves Dr., has made a request for variance to the impervious surface area coverage and accessory building requirements [Sections 18-0209 (7) & 18-0305 of the Land Development Code] in order to construct an addition on to the home and new detached garage.Legal Description: Lot 3&4, Block 13, Lindsay’s addition.
- Ryan and Kathryn Torgerson, 3507 7th Ave N., has made a request for variance to the accessory building requirement [Section 18-0305 of the Land Development Code] in order to build a detached garage.Legal Description: Lot 5, Block 5 of Boyd’s Addition.
- Jeffery Gapp, Property One Holdings, 1002 1st Ave N., has made a request for variance to the parking requirement [Section 18-0304 of the Land Development Code] in order to redevelop the property.Legal Description: Lot 1&3, Block Q of Budge & Eschelman’s 2nd Addition.
- Nicholas and Lynn Kowalski 3203 44th Ave S., has made a request for variance to impervious surface area coverage requirement [Section 18-0208(7) of the Land Development Code] in order to build a shed.Legal Description: Lot 10, Block 3 of the Southern Estates 10th Addition.
- Roberton Construction on behalf of Lisa and Kori Tollefson, 5400 Christian Ct., has made a request for variance to the second front yard setback, impervious surface area coverage and accessory building requirements[Sections 18-0208(7)&(9) and 18-0305 of the Land Development Code] in order to build an addition to the attached garage.Legal Description: Lot 1, Block 1 of Countryview 5th Resubdivision.
- Matthew and Heather Viscito, 3450 62nd Ave. So., has made a request for variance to the accessory building requirement [Table 18-0206(5) of the Land Development Code] in order to develop the property.Legal Description: Block of Heritage Park Place Addition (17.4802.003.00).
- Rusty Wysoki on behalf of James and Linda Johnson, 1502 8th Ave. So., has made a request for variance to the second front yard setback and to the accessory building requirements [Sections 18-0209& 18-0305 of the Land Development Code] in order to builddetached garage.Legal Description: Lots 1&2, Block 3 of Villard’s Addition.
Any individual requiring a special accommodation is asked to notify the ADA Coordinator (746-2665) of their needs one week prior to meeting date.