Regional Radio Systems Coordinator
- Type:Full-time Contracted
- Salary/Pay Rate:$60,000 - $80,000
- Posted Date:01/10/2020
- Deadline to Apply:02/28/2020 5:00 PM
Regional Radio Systems Coordinator
Salary Range: $60,000 - $80,000
The City of Grand Forks is accepting applications for a Regional Radio Systems Coordinator position. This will be a full-time contract position. This position will assist with the planning, developing, coordinating, and managing all aspects of the public safety radio communications systems, which serve the multiple jurisdictions in the Grand Forks PSAP Center.
Minimum Qualifications: Vocational training or two year associates degree with five years’ experience related to radio communications in a public safety setting. Bachelor’s degree in business administration, management, or directly related field preferred.
Apply online at www.grandforksgov.com. Deadline is 5 PM, Friday, February 28, 2020 for application. EEO Employer.
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Assist the Director with planning, developing, coordinating, and managing all aspects of the public safety radio communications systems which service the multiple jurisdictions in the Grand Forks PSAP Center.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
This position will receive supervision from the 911 Center Director
ESSENTIAL AND MARGINAL FUNCTION STATEMENTS--Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Primary responsibility is to successfully maintain the current integrated radio system configuration for the multiple agencies' day to day operations.
- Provides technical leadership in the development and implementation of new public safety related systems or upgrades to existing systems.
- Research and evaluate public safety technology trends which will benefit the multiple jurisdictions as a whole and the individual police, fire and EMS agencies.
- Research, apply and manage federal, state and local grants for the benefit of the multiple jurisdictions.
- Prepare and coordinate policies and procedures relating to radio interoperability issues.
- Responsible for working with local tradesmen, contractors, vendors and agency users to efficiently maintain the day to day operations of the radio systems.
- Responsible for the coordination of inventorying and maintaining radio frequency licenses for the agencies served.
- Participates in the development and adherence of mutual aid agreements between system users and outside agencies.
- Assist in the preparation and administration of the annual operations budget for the public safety radio communications system.
- Prepare and maintain radio system asset inventories.
- Create radio systems documentation.
- Work with established committees and user groups to create auditing, monitoring and evaluation procedures for the day to day activities and functions of the radio systems.
- Prepare and conduct user training as needed.
- Assist in the preparation and negotiation of radio system maintenance and facility contracts.
- Administer and coordinate the purchase and maintenance of the public safety radio communications, supplies and facilities.
- Monitor and facilitates the operation, maintenance, and repair of infrastructure associated with current and future communications equipment for multiple local government agencies.
- Perform additional duties as assigned and assumes additional responsibilities as apparent and as directed to ensure efficient operation of the Grand Forks PSAP radio systems.
QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
Knowledge: Through knowledge of communications networks and circuits; knowledge of FCC (Federal Communications Commission) rules and regulations; Familiar with electrical code standards; knowledge of business practices, standards, and troubleshooting techniques as they pertain to the operation and maintenance of a centralized radio communications system; knowledge of complex radio communications, computer, and telephone systems and their integration into public safety emergency response functions.
Skills: Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including City officials and the general public; Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities; Maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of making sound decisions and demonstrating intellectual capabilities; Maintain effective audio/visual discrimination and perception to the degree necessary for the successful performance of assigned duties. Duties include utilizing established policies and practices in strategy development and problem solving.
Abilities: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance manuals, technical and procedure manuals, ordinances and policies, laws, rules and regulations; ability to prepare, organize and maintain data, reports, and systems; ability to understand ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; ability to effectively give and follow verbal and written instructions; ability to act in a decisive manner using good judgement; ability to handle stressful situations and handle multiple tasks at once; ability to maintain respectful working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, system users, and the general public.
Experience and Training Guidelines
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education and Experience:
Minimum Qualifications: Vocational training or two year associates degree with five years
Experience related to radio communications in a public safety setting.
Desirable Qualifications: A BA or BS in government administration, public policy, communications, management or public administration or a closely related field with three years' experience related to radio communications in a public safety setting. A Master’s Degree in a related field and previous management experience is preferred.
License or Certificate
Must pass a comprehensive personal and professional background investigation.
Must possess a valid drivers license to operate a vehicle when necessary to satisfactorily perform assigned duties.
Environmental and Physical Conditions:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.