Applications must be submitted and approved prior to the start of the Project!
Lease Projects: Must have approval from the state before the execution/signing of the lease OR prior to opening for business.
Rehab/New Construction projects: Must have approval from the state before any work, modification, etc. has been done to the property. Approval must be granted prior to a purchase closing as well.
If you are unsure about your project and when you can begin work and still receive the benefits, contact Planning & Community Development staff for clarification.
2. Once the Certificate is received, submit it along with the Grand Forks Ren Zone Application to the Planning Department (255 North 4th Street, Grand Forks ND 58203).
3. Application will be reviewed by Planning & Community Development staff, forwarded to Grand Forks City Council for action, and then sent to the North Dakota Division of Community Services (DCS) for approval.
4. After you receive approval, you can move forward with the project.
5. When the project is finished, contact Planning to establish a completion date. Planning will then request final approval from DCS.
6. Final approval from DCS will be provided to you; this will need to be submitted when filing taxes. Your tax exemption/credit period does not begin until AFTER your project has been completed and you have received final approval from DCS.
To obtain a Certificate of Good Standing, please complete the application (click here) and submit to:
Individual Income Tax Section
Office of State Tax Commissioner
600 East Boulevard Avenue, Dept. 127
Bismarck, ND 58505-0599
Or fax request to: 701-328-1942
For both Residential and Commercial applications, please submit the form along with the required materials listed including the Certificate of Good Standing to:
Planning & Community Development Department
Attn: Andrew Conlon
255 N 4th Street
Grand Forks, ND 58203
Or email all required materials to