The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program educates volunteers about disaster preparedness for the hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations.
Who should Join CERT
1. People who want to be more prepared for emergencies.
2. People who want to help their community both in disaster and non-disaster situations.
3. Everyone and anyone fifteen years and older (under eighteen will need to have guardians sign a release form).
What will you learn?
1. The types of hazards most likely to affect your home and community and how to identify them
2. The functions of CERT and your role in the immediate response
3. How to work as a team
4. Fire safety and how to put out small fires
5. Basic medical operations
6. How to perform head-to-toe assessments
7. How to select and set up a treatment area
8. How to use safe techniques for debris removal and victim extraction
9. The most common techniques for searching a structure