Most people know about the flood of 1997 that caused over 3.5 billion dollars of property damage. We learned a lot from the flood and since then have done a significant amount of preparing and mitigating to try and prevent a flood of this level from happening again. Houses were removed from flood-prone areas and replaced by our lovely greenway, a large levee system was built, and the community became more educated on how to prepare for another flood.
We will never know if we will get another flood of this level but what we do know is we can prepare and be ready in case there is another one.
There are many areas in Grand Forks County that are still prone to flooding. The more prepared we are now the better we will be in the event of a disaster. Follow these links to learn more about how to prepare for floods.
Flood Quick tips
- Know the risks of a flood in your area
- Do not walk, swim, or drive through flood waters
- Purchase or renew a flood insurance policy
- If told to evacuate do so immediately
- Anything that has come in contact with flood waters could be contaminated