Lost Pets and Stray Animals:
If your pet is missing, or if you see a stray or injured animal, you should contact the Police Department at 701-787-8000, or you can go to the GFPD Lost Pets Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/501850859975091/ to report an animal at large.
Stray animals in the City of Grand Forks which are picked up by the Police Department will be taken to the Circle of Friends Humane Society, which serves as the City Impound. Any animal impounded is subject to a $35 impound fee which must be paid prior to release of the animal.
Claiming your Animal:
- Contact the Humane Society at (701)772-3732 to verify that your animal is in the impound.
- Pay the Impound Fee of $35 to the City of Grand Forks. This fee is collected at the Finance and Administrative Services Department, located on the 1st Floor of City Hall, 255 N 4th Street. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
- In person, we accept Cash, Check or Credit/Debit Card. There is a 3% fee for use of a card.
- You can also call us at 746-2620 and pay your fee over the phone using a credit/debit card. A 3% fee will be added.
- When coming to pay the impound fee, please bring a copy of a valid rabies vaccination certificate for your animal. A city license for the animal can also be purchased at time of impound fee payment.
- Once payment is received we will contact the Humane Society and authorize release of the animal.
- Go to the Circle of Friends Humane Society, 4375 North Washington Street. Present the receipt showing the impound fee has been paid.
- There may be additional boarding charges due to the Humane Society if your animal has been impounded for more than one day.
For more information on the Circle of Friends Humane Society including their location and hours of operation, please visit their website.