The City of Grand Forks requires a business license for certain types of businesses. There is not a general business license that is required for all businesses. The process to apply for a business license in Grand Forks will vary depending on the type of business.
Below is a list of commercial businesses that the City of Grand Forks Licenses. These licenses are administered by the Finance and Administrative Services Department. You can click on the license name in the list below to find out requirements and fees for that license and to obtain an application form. For general licensing questions, please contact the Asst. City Clerk, by phone 701-746-2664. You can also contact us by email.
- Airport Limousine
- Alcoholic Beverage License
- Animal Licensing
- Animal Kennel Fee
- Bed & Breakfast
- Body Art Facility (Tattoo) (New form and license structure 2018)
- Body Art Artist (Tattoo) (New form and license structure 2018)
- Carnival or Circus
- Concession Stand
- Door to Door Sales and Solicitation (Replaced Transient Merchant) (Not currently available due to COVID-19)
- Grocery Store
- Hotel / Motel
- Mobile Food Vendor
- Private Collector of Recyclable Materials
- Private Collector of Rubbish, Construction Refuse
- Restaurant and or Hired Caterer
- Retail Meat
- Retail Tobacco Dealer
- Sexually Oriented Business (Contact the Finance Department for Information)
- Sexually Oriented Business Employee
- Shooting Range
- Swimming Pool
- Taxi - Vehicle License Application Packet
- Taxi - Driver/Chauffeur (New Driver)
- Temporary Restaurant
- Towing - Business
- Towing - Driver (New Driver)
- Transient Merchant has been changed to Door to Door Sales and Solicitation(Not currently available due to COVID-19)
Click Here for a printable list of all license and permit fees currently in place for the City of Grand Forks.
If you are a construction type business you will be licensed through the Building Inspection Department. This includes the following types of licenses:
In addition, the Building Inspection Department issues numerous permits related to the types of work that these licenseholders will perform. Please Click here, to be redirected to the Building Inspection Department page for more information on these permits or contact them at (701) 746-2631.
If you own Rental Property in the City of Grand Forks, you may be required to have a Rental License. This program is administered by the Building Inspections Department. Click Here for information on this program.
Emergency Alarm Installers and Businesses or Residents wishing to utilize an alarm to protect their property should contact the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) for assistance with securing licensing and permits. Click Here to be redirected to the PSAP page.
Some licenses may also require registration or licensing from the State of North Dakota. Below are links to some of the State Agencies which you should contact for additional information on operating businesses in North Dakota.
The Finance and Administrative Services Department is located within City Hall, 255 N 4th Street, Grand Forks, ND 58203. Our Mailing address is:
Attn: Business Licensing
Department of Finance
PO Box 5200
Grand Forks, ND 58206-5200
Email: Click Here