Due to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency, Mayor Brown has issued Emergency Order 2020-17 prohibiting the issuance and conduct of Door-to-Door Sales /Transient Merchant activity in the community. To review a copy of this order, Click Here.
Grand Forks City Code Chapter XXI, Article 12 contains regulations which govern the conduct of Door-to-Door Sales and Solicitations in the City of Grand Forks. This is a new license adopted April 15, 2019 and replaces the Transient Merchant License.
Door-to-Door Sales and Solicitation Current Licensees
There are no businesses or individuals currently licensed for Door-to-Door Sales and Solicitation.
Anyone who is concerned about the activity of a person conducting Door-to-Door Sales and Solicitations or their conduct is encouraged to contact the Grand Forks Police Department at (701)787-8000 to report the situation - or - 911 for immediate dispatch of an officer to assist.
Who needs a Door-to-Door Sales and Solicitation License?
Any person, or an agent of an individual or business, who transacts business by going door-to-door for the purpose of selling or soliciting orders to sell goods, wares, merchandise, magazines, periodicals, or personal services.
Grand Forks City Code does include exemptions from the license requirement for certain types of transactions and organizations, such as charitable, civic, religious, or political organizations. To review the full definition and list of exceptions included in Ordinance 4707, Click Here.
For questions regarding Door to Door Sales and Solicitation Licenses contact the Finance Department located in City Hall, 255 N 4th St, by phone 701-746-2664, or by email.
How do I obtain a Door-to-Door Sales and Solicitation License?
Complete the application form and submit to the Finance Department along with other required documents. The review process includes a criminal background check and may take 7-10 days to complete.
Applicants can not work until the license has completed the review process and a license has been issued. Failure to obtain a City Door to Door Sales and Solicitation License is subject to a $500/per day penalty for each day that business is conducted without a license.
City of Grand Forks Application Form - Click Here
- Annual Fee is $450
- Per Day fee is $60
We accept cash, check, money order, or credit card. If a credit card is used, there will be a 3% processing fee added to the transaction.
- A $5,000 Surety Bond or cash in lieu of bond must be posted at time of application
- The bond must be irrevocable for 2 years after the expiration of the license.
State of ND Sales Tax Permit
- Collection of sales tax on most goods sold within the City limits is required.
- To obtain a permit or if you are unsure whether you need to collect tax, contact the ND State Tax Commissioner or click here to visit their webpage for more information.
State of ND Transient Merchant License
- For more information on whether you need a State of ND Transient Merchant License, contact the ND Attorney General's Office or click here to visit their website.
Where to submit applications:
The completed application for and other required information should be submitted to the Finance Department:
By personal or courier delivery: By Mail:
255 N 4th St. PO Box 5200
Grand Forks, ND 58203 Grand Forks, ND 58206-5200
Regulations for Door to Door Sales and Solicitation
All regulations for Door-to-Door Sales and Solicitation licensees operating within the City of Grand Forks are listed in Grand Forks City Code 21-1210. A summary is listed below:
- The City Door to Door Sales and Solicitation License must be displayed at all times when transacting business. The license must be provided when requested.
- Business may only be transacted between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. C.S.T.
- Certain practices are prohibited. These include:
- No more than 2 individuals shall engage in solicitation at a location at the same time.
- No person shall make more than one solicitation call at the same premise for the same goods or services within any six month consecutive period, without prior invitation from the occupant.
- No person shall commit any conduct constituting harassment, trespass, nuisance, theft, deceit, or menacing, troublesome or otherwise unlawful activities during the course of sales activity.
- No licensee or agent shall enter or attempt to gain entrance to any residence or business displaying a sign prohibiting solicitation.
- It is unlawful for a licensee to refuse to leave any premise when requested by the owner, tenant, or occupant.
- It is unlawful to make any false or misleading statements about the product or services being sold, including untrue statements of endorsement.
- No licensee shall claim to have the endorsement of the City based on the City having issued a permit, license or certificate to that person.
- No person shall misrepresent or make false, deceptive or misleading statements concerning the quality, quantity or characteristics of any merchandise or services offered for sale, the purpose of his or her visit, his or her identity, or the identity of the organization he/she represents.
- no person shall make unreasonably loud noises or use any sound or amplifying devices to attract customers if the noise produced is capable of being plainly heard outside at 100' radius of the source
- no person may solicit or sell at any private residence, building or establishment if there is in place on the premises, in an observable location, a sign or other notice bearing the words "no trespassing", "no soliciting", or other similar notice.
Revocation or Suspension of License
Any Door to Door Sales and Solicitation License issued by the City of Grand Forks may be suspended or revoked by the Mayor if any of the above regulations are violated, if the business, individual, or agent are arrested or convicted of a crime which would have prohibited them from qualifying for the license, or if there is any fraud, misrepresentation or incorrect statements made on the application form or during the course of business activity.
If a license is revoked or suspended the applicant may appeal following the process outlined in Grand Forks City Code 21-1211.
Questions? Contact us:
Finance and Administrative Services
255 N 4th St
Grand Forks, ND 58203
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday - Friday
Email: Click Here