Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • Where is the Inspections Department located?

  • What is a building code?

  • How do I know if my property is located in the City of Grand Forks' jurisdiction?

  • When do I need a permit?

  • What kind of permits are there and where do I get them?

  • What do I need to know to get a permit?

  • How long are permits good for?

  • How much are building permits?

  • Why are permit fees charged for the enforcement of the code and on what basis are these fees determined?

  • Do I need a contractor or can I do the work myself?

  • How do I choose a contractor?

  • How do I become a licensed contractor?

  • When do I need to obtain a mechanical permit?

  • When do I need to obtain a plumbing permit?

  • What is an electrical wiring certificate?

  • When is a electrical wiring certificate required?

  • Who files the wiring certificate with the power supplier?

  • On new connects, may a power supplier furnish electrical power before a wiring certificate is filed?

  • What is the Rental Inspection Program?

  • What is a rental unit?

  • Why are rental licenses required?

  • What is required of a rental unit?

  • What is the City's responsibility regarding rental units?

  • Are the basic requirements of a rental unit different than that of an owner occupied single family home?

  • How many individuals can occupy a rental unit?

  • What are the off-street parking requirements?