We have recently had an increase in residential burglaries. There are a number of things that citizens can do to help prevent this type of crime.
What can you as a citizen do:
- Consider motion lighting around your house and garage.
- Areas will light up as people approach.This will draw attention to a potential intruder.
- Good lighting will allow neighbors and patrolling police officers to see your property and report/investigate any suspicious activity.
- Check your locks
- Deadbolts should extend at least an inch into the door frame.
- All exterior doors should have deadbolts, including entry doors into a garage.
- Windows should be closed and locked at night and when no one is at home.Consider locking when people are home as well.
- Lock your vehicles and any sheds/outbuildings you have.
- Do not let shrubs and trees get overgrown.
- Shrubs should be no higher than 3 feet and the canopies of trees should be trimmed up to at least 7 feet.
- This will allow for open sight lines to and from a business/residence.
- This will also prevent hiding spots close to your property.
- Overgrown vegetation can also obstruct lighting.
- While you are away……
- Have a neighbor collect mail and newspapers.
- Consider putting interior lights on a timer.
- Be careful how you communicate online about your vacation.
- Be aware of who can follow your social media accounts and don’t advertise your absence from home.
- Mark company tools and maintain an inventory.
- Lock and properly utilize storage areas each night.Use heavy duty locks.
- Consider parking a piece of heavy equipment in front of storage doors.
- Security fencing should be considered for long term sites.
- Make sure the site is well lit and easily observable by other citizens in the area.
- Construction trailers should be locked with disc locks.These are harder to cut.
- Trailers should be placed in a well-lit area.
- There should be controlled entry into the area.
- Fencing around the facility should be see through so that suspicious activity is easily observable.
- Units should be secured with disc locks.
- The entire facility needs to be well lit.
- There should be no access from one unit to the next.
What can the Police Do (Aside from Patrol and Prevention)
- We offer education on burglary prevention.
- Trained officers can come to your residence or business to conduct a crime prevention review.
- This is free of charge
- We can work with you to set up a time that works best.
- We can assess everything from locks to landscaping on your property